Wednesday, April 1, 2015

No Foolin'! We had a blast today!


It’s Wednesday and it’s the Brosnick duo’s turn to blog. We started the day as always with breakfast bright and early at 7:00. Apparently no one sleeps in on Roatan. After breakfast, we gathered our stuff up and hopped on a bus and headed to the intertidal zone. The shores were made up of fossilized coral and shells. Here the tide was low enough for us to see all kinds of life such as hermit crabs (Jenna’s favorite), snails, chitons, and crabs. Clinging to the rocks, these animals had the true wild life, trying to hold on against the onslaught of waves. As it started, to rain we ran back to the bus and headed into the town of West End. We had two hours to venture into shops selling all kinds of souvenirs and clothes.
The shops had very interesting items hand made by native Roatanians.  We’re sure you will see many of these gifts when we return!  Some of us were quick to master the ways of bargaining and were able to get “discounts” Roatan style.   I (Noah) bought a hand -made bongo.  Let’s hope everyone can sleep tonight!  The girls were on a mission to find dresses, while the boys ended up with hand-woven palm hats.  We finished our tour in town with a quick stop at the grocery store for ice cream, crazy foods only found in Roatan, coffee and vanilla.
The afternoon brought beautiful sunshine and a snorkel at Fish Den.  Holding true to its name, we saw lots of fish: a large school of grunts, several durgons, queen angels, filefish and at the very end a large hogfish.
After a few quick April Fools jokes about sightings of whale sharks we were on our way back to shore.  We were quick to change into our dry clothes and join our dive master John and his friends for a few intense games of beach volleyball.  We tried to do our best, but let’s just say us New Yorkers don’t know beach volleyball, or anything to do with a beach and warm weather.
Another quick change into our nice clothes and we headed to Fiesta Night.  The fun began with an intense crab race.  Both Carly and Rebekah had winning crabs after the first round.  We thought Carly’s was going to win, but the crab was directionally challenged and turned away from the finish line at the last moment.  Then everyone tried their hand at the limbo.  With an impressive showing, Chris was crowned “Limbo King”.  I (zach) realize now limbo is not for tall kids.  Miss Palmer, Clinton and Mr. and Mrs. Brosnick broke it down on the dance floor during the dance contest.  However, the native Garifuna dancers showed them up with their extraordinary tribal dance skills.  We think that playing the conch and the turtle are much cooler instruments than trumpet and viola. 

The real fiesta started when the dance floor opened to everyone.  Some of us found interesting partners to dance with, while others danced with Miss Palmer and Mrs. Brosnick.  Leaving us all tired, we slowly trudged back to our rooms to go to sleep.  You know we won’t get to sleep in tomorrow.







10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness the just sound better and better! I am drooling with envy! I hope the weather cooperates for your last few days. Christopher congrats on being limbo king! You all sure do look like your having a blast! We are having a 60 something degree heat wave today but don't you worry we will have snow this weekend again! Christopher and Jake don't plan on sleeping in Sunday because we have easter dinner and great grandma's 93d birthday! !! (Hint, hint)-! Hope you are not getting to much sun. I just have to ask who the dancer was? Can't wait for your return, love mom,dad,dj, cass,charlie, nick and pea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day. The photo from the shopping trip looks like a fun place to prowl around. Rebekah - you won a crab race! My crazy brain was first picturing you as the crab - ha,ha. Fiesta Night and dancing sounds great too. Enjoy your net couple days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Noah and Zach for another great blog post (and for sharing your wonderful mom and dad with the Marine Biology Club students). We love reading the 'play by play' of each day's events...almost makes us feel like we are right there with you (as I am sure ALL of us would want to be right now). Congrats Chris on being named 'Limbo King.' You made NCHS proud. I can imagine the Fiesta Night was a fabulous evening. The pictures were so beautiful and colorful. I can't wait to see more when you return.

    Girls...I hope you had fun shopping for dresses and were lucky enough to find something colorful and tropical. Sam...I noticed you had on a dress you brought with you so I am thinking you didn't have much luck or you got tired of looking. I know how much you LOVE to shop. :) I hope you practiced your bartering skills that you learned the last time you were in Roatan to get the best deal. I actually think you enjoy the bartering part of it better than the gift you are buying. You always love a challenge...

    A heartfelt THANK YOU to the chaperones for taking such great care of our children and providing this 'once in a lifetime' opportunity for them. We are forever grateful for everything you do. I am especially grateful to know that they are well chaperoned and taken care of while they are in Roatan (although I still get nervous every time my phone rings thinking it is another phone call from Miss Palmer with new info about Sam's ear. I'm hoping the next time we talk will be when the plane lands in Atlanta...not that I didn't enjoy the chance to talk with Miss Palmer and Sam. :)

    Love you much Sammi. Enjoy your last few days in paradise. We are looking forward to seeing you on Saturday night. Love, Mom and Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ¡Buenos días! I hope you are all having the time of your life in paradise, and taking good notes so you dont forget a single thing! Fiesta night sounded like so much fun and I hope you all danced your socks off! Coral, maybe you hould bring home your prize winning hermie for mom for mothers day! I think she'd love that! I found a replacement for you, so you dont have to worry about coming home :)
    <3 Vern

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¡Buenos días! I hope you are all having the time of your life in paradise, and taking good notes so you dont forget a single thing! Fiesta night sounded like so much fun and I hope you all danced your socks off! Coral, maybe you hould bring home your prize winning hermie for mom for mothers day! I think she'd love that! I found a replacement for you, so you dont have to worry about coming home :)
    <3 Vern

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenna and everyone! Fiesta night sounded like it was a blast. Would have loved to have seen all the dancing! Can't wait to see pictures, hope you are taking lots of them. I hope you bought some good things while shopping - things that will remind you of your wonderful adventure. Crab racing sounds like fun, we'll have to try that when you get home. Enjoy your day, be careful and safe. Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is obviously not Garry Dole. G and K your house is still standing, the plants are alive and Murphy is patrolling the borders making sure the chipmunks and squirrels aren't getting too cocky while you are gone! We miss you (Murph was a little confused as to why you weren't here, Kathy!) and hope you are having a wonderful time.

    Bekah: Murphy was very excited to see Katie last night, but then whined to go outside where he sniffed all around looking for you! Joel found him in your room this morning. He'll be glad to have you home as will we. Congratulations on winning the crab race. I hope you have seen turtles? Enjoy your last few days. We love you like crazy. Mom (PS Owen reminds you to take a picture of a banana tree!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey everyone! Finally got my comment to post!! I miss you all so much! Sam I am so sorry about your ear! I'm sure you are still hving a blast! Jenna it is so weird that I can't talk to you! I hope you are having an awesome trip! I miss you so much! I can't wait to see you when you come back! Hope you have not broken the tape...again! Ashlynn I hope you are making some amazing memories since this is your first time on this trip! Enjoy every second of what you have left of it because it is seriously the best trip you will ever go on! I miss you all and I can't wait to see you guys when you come back!
    Love Leah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aurora, it sounds so awesome all the things you are experiencing there. It is great to have this blog to share with everyone and all the awesome pictures. I only wish I had had this tool when I went on my trip in high school but that was 22 years ago! haha Didn't have that then. Anyhow, miss you so much and I am so glad you got the chance to go back. I bet the snorkeling is so much fun...I always wanted to try that. Did you try out dancing? It looked like so much fun. Glad you will be home for Easter..see you then and bring pictures! I love the one of you snorkeling and the underwater one...clever! Love always, Liana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that I commented on this blog already but now it is gone. So I will say the boys sitting on the front of the boat looked very relaxed and the girls looked very interested in what they were looking at. The picture of the volleyball game looked intense. I know David doesn't like to lose and I'm sure that holds true for everyone out there. That shop the girls are standing in front of looks very cool. I hope you all found lots of great treasures on your shopping excursion. The end of your vacation is coming soon and I can't wait to see Davids smiling face!! Miss you lots buddy! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

All comments are approved before appearing on BLOG